Windows 11bring a Widgets panelwith improved customization.
- The Widgets panel now has a dedicated icon in the taskbar.
- Users can customize the widget panel according to their preferences.
Microsoft began rolling out Windows 11 to compatible computers last week. The latest update to the company’s operating system brings tons of new and upgraded features including Widgets panel with improved customization, instant layout feature, support for multiple virtual desktops, a redesigned start menu and more.
Now we have a dedicated Widgets icon on the taskbar which allows you to view weather updates, news, task list and more. It can be customized according to your needs and requirements. In this article, we’ll explore the ways to effectively use the Widgets panel on your updated Windows 11 computer.
The Widgets panel has two parts, an upper section that shows the current weather, photos saved to your OneDrive, sports scores and more, while the news section has the main headlines and news articles that interest you.
Here’s how to open the Widgets panel
- Since Windows 11 has a dedicated icon for the Widgets panel, you can access it by clicking on the icon (which looks like a window having two rectangular sections in white and blue color) or if you have a touchscreen, you just need to swipe left to open it. Alternatively, you can also press Windows key + W to open the panel.
- When you open the Widgets panel, you will see some common Microsoft widgets like weather updates, sports scores, your images from OneDrive and headlines, news at the bottom of the panel.
Next, we’ll see how you can adjust widgets and customize them.
Here’s how to customize the Widgets panel.
- To move your widgets around the panel, long press the top of the widget you want to move and change its position before releasing the pressure.
- On each widget, there is a three dot icon in the upper right corner for more options. Here you can change the size of the widgets, remove the widgets or customize them to your preference.
- For example, you can change the size of the weather widget from large to medium or small. You can also customize it to see the temperature in degrees Celsius or Fahrenheit.
- To see more information about a particular widget, you just need to click on the widget name in the upper left corner which will open a separate page with additional information.
- You can also add widgets to the Widgets panel by clicking the Add Widgets button which is located between the top section and the news sections. Here you can browse all the available widgets and choose the one you want to see in the panel. Currently, all available widgets are from Microsoft, but you can expect to see more third-party widgets with other OS updates.
Customize the news feed
The news feed below the Add Widgets button contains the most popular articles section, followed by individual articles. These stories come with reaction buttons like those found on Facebook and you can react to them with various emoticons like heart, thumbs up or like, angry, sad and others). You can customize the news feed to suit your preferences and interests. Here’s how to do it.
- Select the three-dot icon next to each news article or headline and you can choose to see more or less articles on a similar topic, hide articles from that source, save them for later, or report the article.
Personalize your interests
- When you click on the “Add Widgets” button, a page will appear that will allow you to manage your interests. You can also open the same page by clicking on the three-dot icon next to a news article and selecting Manage Interest.
- This will open the Microsoft start page, the Edge browser settings page, here you can choose your interests which will tell Microsoft to show you news that may be of interest to you. You can choose points of interest from any category, such as News, Sports, Travel, Health, Entertainment, etc. When you click on it you are choosing specific topics such as Cricket, Football and others when you click on “Sports”.
- In the same page, you can also see your “saved” news, “history” of articles you have read or customize your experience by changing the language by clicking on “Experience settings”.
- You can also enable or disable certain features such as the weather widget, reaction buttons or the financial widget.
How to update your PC to Windows 11
How to access hidden files on your Mac computer
How to Convert JPG File to PDF File on Mac or Windows 10 Computer