Windows 11 update , Although the is already available for download. (Here’s how after its launch and how .)brings big changes to the long-standing operating system, including its change of first name to six years.
Windows 11 includes a host of new features, such as the ability toand updates from , and , which has a cleaner, Mac-like design. (Discover all .)
Here are all the details we know about Windows 11 so far, including price, compatibility, release date, how to download the beta, and new features.
7 new features included in Windows 11
Here are some of the noteworthy new features in Windows 11:
- A new interface closer to the Mac. Windows 11 features a clean design with rounded corners, pastel tones and a and taskbar.
- Built-in Android apps. Windows 10, including , but that will make it native. (Note that during the initial release of Windows 11.) and installable from the new via the Amazon Appstore. There were several ways to access Android apps on
- Widgets. While they’ve been around for quite some time (remember desktop gadgets on Windows Vista?), Including in a , you can now and customize them to see what you want.
- Microsoft Teams integration. and will be integrated directly into the Windows 11 taskbar, which will make it easier to access (and a little more like Apple’s FaceTime). You will be able to access Teams from Windows, Mac, Android, or iOS.
- Xbox technology for better gaming. , like Auto HDR and DirectStorage, to enhance gaming on your Windows PC.
- Better support for virtual desktops. Windows 11 will allow you in a way more similar to MacOS, switching between multiple desktops for personal, work, school or gaming use. You can also on each virtual desktop.
- Easier transition from monitor to laptop and better multitasking. The new operating system includes features called – collections of apps you both use that are in the taskbar and can appear or be collapsed at the same time to make it easier to change tasks. They also make it easier for you to plug in and unplug a monitor without losing the location of your open windows.
When can you download Windows 11?
Windows 11 is now available in preview for Windows Insiders (here is). It will start rolling out to all compatible PCs and new PCs on , according to Microsoft, and will run until mid-2022. The newer your device, the sooner you will have access to the update. The older your PC, the longer you will likely have to wait.
Will your computer be compatible with Windows 11?
There are several ways to check if your Windows 10 PC is eligible for a free upgrade to Windows 11.
You can(right now if you’re part of the Windows Insider program, or in the coming weeks if you’re not) to see if your device is compatible, and if not, a few details on why. (Microsoft retired the app after its deployment in June to add more information on why the devices may not be compatible, but by the end of August it’s back online.)
You can use another open source application calledto see if your device is compatible. Plus, here’s how without any tools.
Or go tofor a list of requirements. If you , this computer will also be eligible for the free upgrade.
Can I still download Windows 11 even if my computer is not compatible?
Potentially. Even if your Windows 10 computer does not meet some of the requirements for upgrading to Windows 11, you will still be able to. The process would be similar to how many people can manually . However, this version is unlikely to be eligible for updates from Microsoft.
How will you download Windows 11 once it’s generally available?
Once Windows 11 is generally available, you’ll download it the same way you would any new version of Windows. Most users will go to Settings> Update & Security> Windows Update and click Check for updates.
If available, you will see Feature update to Windows 11. Click on Download and install. Keep in mind that Microsoft is rolling out the operating system gradually, so don’t panic if you don’t see the option on day 1.
Here is more information about. If you haven’t upgraded to Windows 10 yet, you can still .
Will Windows 11 be free to download?
If you are already a Windows 10 user, Windows 11 will appear as a.
For more information, see, know everything about the , the and .