Microsoft Teams has emerged as one of the most popular workplace video conferencing and productivity apps over the past year. However, like all software, it acts from time to time, wasting your precious time as you try to troubleshoot all possible issues. If that’s what you’re facing right now, one of the first things you should try is clearing the Microsoft Teams client app cache on your Mac or Windows PC. To help you out, here is a step-by-step guide on how to clear Microsoft Teams cache on Mac and Windows PCs.
Microsoft Teams: Clear Cache to Fix Common Problems (2021)
We’ll show you how to clear app cache in Microsoft Teams on Mac and Windows in this article. This should fix a wide range of issues, including issues updating your profile information or picture after changing your data. It’s also useful in case an add-on doesn’t work as expected in Teams. So, let’s see how you can clear app cache in Microsoft Teams using Command Prompt on Windows and Keychain Access on Mac.
Clear Microsoft Teams cache on Windows
To clear the Microsoft Teams client app cache on Windows 10 or Windows 11, you need to follow the steps below:
1. First, close the Microsoft Teams client. To do this, right click on the application icon in the system tray in the lower right corner and select “leave“.
To note: If the application icon is not immediately visible, click on the “up arrow” sign to see all applications in the system tray.
2. Next, open a command prompt window with administrator privileges. To do this, search for “command prompt” in the Windows search bar and click “Execute as administrator“.
3. Now copy + paste the following command:
rmdir /q /s %appdata%MicrosoftTeams in the command prompt and press Enter. If there is no error message, it means that the cache files were deleted successfully.
To note: Instead of taking you to the Teams App Data folder in File Explorer and deleting each folder individually, we’ve included a nifty command in this guide to help you quickly clear the Microsoft Teams cache.
Once you restart the app, it will automatically create new cache files. However, note that clearing cache files will log you out, you will have to reconnect with your credentials. It will also clear web client cache, icons, thumbnails, settings, display images and all add-ons. However, this will not delete any of your chats, meetings, calendars, etc.
Clear Microsoft Teams cache on Mac
For Mac users, follow the steps below to clear Microsoft Teams cache and fix persistent bugs and issues with the Team Collaboration app.
1. First, right click on the Microsoft Teams app icon on your dock and select “leave“.
2. Now open Searcher, click on “Go“in the menu bar at the top, and select the”Go to folder”Option.
3. Then copy + paste the following path into the text field of the pop-up window and click “Go“.
4. Now right click on the “Teams” folder and select “Move to trash“.
5. Then open “Spotlight search”By clicking on the magnifying glass icon in the upper right corner of the menu bar. You can also use the keyboard shortcut Cmd + spacebar.
6. Now type “Keychain” in Spotlight Search, and among the suggestions that appear, click “Access to the keychain“.
7. Finally, you need to search for “Microsoft Teams” in Keychain Access and locate the “Microsoft Teams Identity Cache“. Right click on this item and select”Wipe offYou have now successfully cleared the Microsoft Teams cache on Mac and you can now close Keychain Access.
Once you relaunch Microsoft Teams, the app will create a whole new set of cache files, which should hopefully get rid of the issues you were facing. As in Windows, this will log you out of the app and delete your settings. However, not all of your chats, messages, and meetings will be deleted, and you will still be able to access them once logged in.
Troubleshoot issues with MS Teams like a pro
Now that you know how to clear Microsoft Teams app cache on Windows and Mac, I hope this guide helps you solve your problem. If not, we suggest you take a look at the official Teams Help Center to see if you can Find a solution the. If that doesn’t work either, sign in to the Teams support site (visit) and post your case on the Teams Support Forum. Hope this will give you a definitive answer on how to fix the problem you are facing. In the meantime, you can also check out some of our other tutorials, including how to enable noise cancellation in Microsoft Teams and how to create memes in Teams.