Brave Software today released a new stable version of the company’s Brave web browser. The new version of Brave includes several security fixes, the ability to import data from the Chromium-based Microsoft Edge web browser, and several usability improvements.
Brave 1.42.86 is already available for all supported desktop operating systems. Brave installations should update automatically, but users can speed up the installation of the 1.42 update by loading brave://settings/help into the browser’s address bar. Brave displays the current version and runs an update check, when the page opens. Any new version found is downloaded and installed automatically. A reboot is required to complete the process.
Brave 1.42 is a security and feature update. The browser core is upgraded to Chromium 104.0.5112.81. The official release notes make no mention of specific upgrade changes, but it looks like all Chromium-based security issues are fixed in the new version.
The new version of Brave Stable includes several Brave-specific security and privacy changes:
- Unbound bounce is enabled by default now. The feature is Brave’s attempt to disable a tracking feature called Bounce Tracking. Debounce capability based on regular expression is now supported.
- Improved fingerprint smearing in aggressive tracking protection mode.
- A warning is displayed indicating that local IFPS nodes are bypassing browser proxy settings.
- An IFPS crash issue has been fixed.
- Fixed a wallet API crash issue.
- The design of the new tab page has been updated for private windows and private windows with Tor.
- The brave://settings/cookies configuration page has been updated to better align with brave://shields.
- Removed known Marketo email tracking parameters from URLs.
Brave 1.42 includes a number of improvements and usability changes:
- Brave now supports importing data from Microsoft Edge.
- Settings to refine autocomplete suggestions added to brave://settings/appearance. Users have options to individually enable/disable the following:
- Top Sites
- Suggested sites
- Navigation history
- Setting for search engines used in address bar in private windows added to brave://settings/search.
The new version of Brave includes several cryptocurrency and wallet related changes, as well as fixes for non-security issues.
Check change log for a full list of these changes.
Now you: do you use Brave?